Reading Nigella’s Gingersnaps recipe was enough to transport me back to my childhood. I had instant and vivid memories of eating these delightful creations on Sunday evenings after bathtime.
And as Nigella says, I remember the house being filled with the fabulous aroma of freshly cooked gingersnaps!
I spotted a bag of gingersnaps the other day and I was tempted to check-out with them. Why not? They’re good and someone has already done the work to make them edible. My mind swerved back to reality, I took another look at the bag of gingersnaps and thought Homemade is way better and my house will be filled with the intoxicating aroma of warm gingersnaps. Done and done, I exited the market sans gingersnaps. With the perfect recipe in-mind, I was off to preheat the oven!
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane juice sugar
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda- 1/4 tsp sea salt- 11/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup granulated sugar for rolling dough balls before baking. I was inspired by fall and used both white and orange granulated sugar!